Q: Can I pedal the electric bike as a regular bicycle?
- Yes. Keep in mind that the electric bikes are heavy, so you will get a good workout without the electric assist!
Q: Do I have to pedal? Is there a throttle?
- Yes, you must pedal to make the bike go. The torque sensor alerts the motor to kick in depending on the amount of pressure put on the bike pedal. So if you don’t pedal at all you will be standing still – there is no throttle! We are not a moped tour.
Q: What is a Kettler Twin Electric Bike? How does it work?
- In a nutshell it is a regular bicycle with a 250-watt electric motor and a 36-volt battery. It “assists” the rider in pedaling by reducing the amount of effort it takes to ride the bike.Learn more about electric bikes.
Q: How hard is it to ride an electric bike?
- It is pretty simple but it does take a small learning period. The rider will learn how to use the basic LED pad on the left handlebar to toggle between the three modes of power: ECO, MID, and HIGH. On the right handlebar is the gear shifter.
- We recommend everyone start on flat ground in ECO mode to get a subtle feel for the assist. When too much pressure is applied to the pedals in HIGH or even MID, it has a tendency to catch new riders off guard when the bike surges forward. Once you are comfortable on the bike we recommend trying MID and then HIGH modes.
- We will explain how to use the gears based on different riding conditions. For flat areas it is better to use a higher gear (4-7) to have less pedal revolutions and go further. When going uphill you must switch to a lower gear (1-4) to receive the optimum assist. In each situation the guide will let each rider know what the optimal gear is. When switching gears it is important to reduce your pedaling pressure to allow the gear to switch.
Q: How long is the tour route? How fast and far can I ride?
- The tour route is 8 miles long. The bikes top out at a speed of 16 mph. The battery technology we have is some of the best on the market. Distance depends on the style of riding, the weight of the rider, and the terrain. On ECO you can ride for up to 90 miles. On MID you can expect up to 60 miles. On HIGH distance averages 45 miles.
Q: Are Child Seats and Trailers available? Can I bring small children or infants on the tour?
Q: Are reservations required for tours? How far in advance do I need to book?
- Reservations are required. It is best to book as far in advance as possible to ensure availability. The summer season and the leaf peeping season do get very busy in Asheville. Reserve a guided tour online or call 828-513-3960. A full deposit via credit card is required.
Q: Where do tours start? Where do I park?
- ALL TOURS BEGIN AND END AT WEAVER PARK on MERRIMON AVENUE.
- There is free parking in Weaver Park next to the tennis courts.
- Directions to Weaver Park:
- From Downtown Asheville: Follow Broadway St. north (away from downtown) until it turns into Merrimon Ave. Follow Merrimon Ave for .9 miles from downtown. After the intersection of Coleman Ave and Merrimon Ave you will see a Dunkin Donuts on your right. Immediately, after passing Dunkin Donuts, you will see tennis courts. Make a right into the small Weaver Park parking lot next to the tennis courts.
- From 240 West: Take exit 5A for Merrimon Ave. Turn right on Merrimon Ave. Follow Merrimon Ave for .9 miles. After the intersection of Coleman Ave and Merrimon Ave you will see a Dunkin Donuts on your right. Immediately after passing Dunkin Donuts you will see tennis courts. Make a right into the Weaver Park parking lot next to the tennis courts.
- From 240 East: Take exit 5A for Merrimon Ave. Turn right onto Broadway St/Merrimon Ave. Follow Merrimon Ave for .9 miles. After the intersection of Coleman Ave and Merrimon Ave you will see a Dunkin Donuts on your right. Immediately after passing Dunkin Donuts you will see tennis courts. Make a right into the Weaver Park parking lot next to the tennis courts.
- NOTE: There are TWO ENTRANCES to Weaver Park. We meet at the Merrimon Avenue entrance by the tennis courts, not Murdoch Ave! If you are using GPS or Google maps to find Weaver Park please use 411 Merrimon Ave Asheville, NC as the destination address. If you only type in Weaver Park as the destination, it will guide you to the Murdoch Ave entrance, which is the wrong parking lot!
Q: Are the tours cancelled in case of rain?
- If light rain or scattered thunderstorms is in the forecast we will continue the scheduled tour. Keep in mind that we are outside and getting wet is a possibility! The electric bikes are completely sealed and are safe to operate in wet conditions. The bag where you put your valuables comes with a waterproof cover.
- If light rain or scattered thunderstorms are in the forecast we will continue the scheduled tour. Keep in mind that we are outside and getting wet is a possibility! The electric bikes are completely sealed and are safe to operate in wet conditions. The bag where you put your valuables comes with a waterproof cover.If heavy rain is in the forecast we will do our best to reschedule the tour to another date/time. If we reschedule the tour due to severe weather and you are unable to make another time you will receive a full refund.
Q: What is the cancellation and no show policy?
- Reservations require a full deposit via credit card. Once booked, we will send an e-mail confirmation of your tour. Deposits are fully refundable if the reservation is cancelled 2 days or 48 hours or more prior to the scheduled tour. We only have a select amount of electric bikes available for tours. No shows will be charged in full. The deposit WILL NOT be refunded for any reason within 48 hours of your scheduled tour. A signed liability waiver and declaration of fitness form is required prior to departure.
Q: What are the damage and loss charges?
- All reservations require a valid ID with picture and credit card: Visa, Mastercard, or Discover will be required for booking a reservation. Your card will be charged for any damages to or loss of the electric bike. Riders are responsible for all damages to the bike. Please be aware that each electric bike costs over $2,000.00.
Q: Do you accept American Express?
- No. We accept Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
Q: Why do you charge a credit card processing fee?
- We charge a 3% card processing fee for all purchases. As a small business we choose to keep our tour and rental rates lower by passing the merchant service fee to the customer.
Q: Can I pay with cash?
- Yes. However, you must provide a valid credit card to reserve a spot on the tour or to rent an electric bike in case of damage or loss. If you reserve online you cannot pay with cash since you must pay the tour deposit in full. Please call us at 828-513-3960 to reserve your spot via phone if you plan to pay with cash.
Q: Can I arrange for a private group event?
- We do offer private group tours for corporate functions, weddings, and families. Contact us for more info!
Q: I want to do a ride in the mountains or on the Blue Ridge Parkway, do you offer that?
- Currently we only offer reservations for the tour of Asheville. If you are interested in a tour in the mountains we can provide several options. You must have a group of 4 people or more. Please contact us for more information!
Get Ready To Ride:
- Learn more about guided bike tours in Asheville
- Make an online reservation today
- Contact us for more information, reservations, location and hours.